Early in 2021 I discontinued the "My People" aka "Yo! Friends" podcast supporters club and cancelled the recurring subscriptions.
For context the pay-what-you-want supporters club offered bonus questions plus fun behind-the-scenes podcast content like these research notes for The Couldwells episode:
It was a healthy experiment for me as I got to interact with wonderfully supportive people but also learn a lot about myself.
Here are my 3 main takeaways reflecting on it:
1. Subscriptions vs Freedom
The income vs the pressure to consistently interview new Yo! Podcast guests was not worth it for me. For better context, the Yo! Podcast is one of my many side-projects and the club was only earning around $500 ARR. Not a lot but covering podcast costs and growing slowly. I’m fully aware I don’t owe anyone an episode on any timeline but having people pay – on subscription – made me feel considerable pressure to deliver. This could be very different for you but for me: freedom > small subscription income.
2. Monetization vs Creativity
You don’t have to monetize your every side project. This sounds like a stretch but Yo! has been my creative outlet (since YouTube days) and pressure chomps away at my creativity. This is also the reason I’m not ready to take podcast sponsors despite the requests. I have full creative control to rock ‘n roll.
3. Is hiding bonus content a smart play?
It’s always beneficial to reflect on hard work. Sharing what it took to create a Yo! Podcast episode was both healthy for me and interesting for listeners. But I was sharing this to ~30 people vs the 1000 that listen to each episode…
Additionally, orchestrating the bonus question with the guest was always awkward. I’d either extract it mid-interview or ask it once the interview was finished. I’m a flow guy and neither of these felt right.
Here is the Derek Sivers bonus question about good vs bad judgement extracted for club members only. The interview still came out great but should this content be held back?
So what happened to the club content?
The behind-the-scenes content and bonus questions now live on the episode pages below the topic link blocks. Here are the quick access links to them:
You would have noticed most of the takeaways above are based on feel and not metrics. I’m starting to learn after a decade of side-projects online, my gut is where and how I making most of best decisions.
Hope you got a little takeaway for your next side project:)
- Is Pinterest worth investing in as a content creator? OPL
- How I made my first side-product Dollar online Misc
- Love Curated dot com LC
- Black Friday 2021 LPHT Experiment Results LPHT
- Discontinuing Email Newsletter Discovery EML
- UX Love is set for 2022 UXL
- What happened to Yo! on YouTube? Yo!
- My workspace is really coming together Misc
- Yo! Podcast Artwork Illustrations Yo!
- 100 Tweet Thread LPHT
- The 2008 moment I thought up One Page Love OPL
- How I negotiated the $5k Email Love dot com domain EML
- The Email Love Game Plan EML
- Why I green-lit the Email Love project EML
- Email Love Announcement EML
- Yo! Halloween (YouTube finale) Yo!
- 3 Lessons Growing One Page Love from Side Project to Full Time Job OPL
- How One Page Love Monetizes (2018 Edition) OPL